Saturday, January 7, 2012

Genesis 22-24

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

God commanded Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. Why? To test the strength of Abraham's faith? Because this is what was expected from pagan gods, so God showed he was different by putting a stop to it just before the knife plunged? Because God creates life, so it is his for the asking? Because God was willing to do it himself with his Son? Do any of these answers satisfy the question? Not really, but then has my generation's morality earned the right to measure God's?

Martin Luther, the 16th century reformer, during devotions with his wife, read the account of Abraham offering Isaac on the alter.  Katherine Luther argued, "I do not believe it.  God would not have treated his son like that!"  "But Katie," Luther replied, "He did."


That may be as good an answer as there is.  Abraham trusted God for his son; now he must trust God with his son.  That's what we know.  Abraham proved himself faithful, and God proved himself faithful.  We know that, too.  So what do we learn?  We learn what God expects from us, and what we can expect from God. 

Daily Prayer

God Almighty, You are faithful and just, and You are good.  I trust You no matter what, because You are the one place where trust is always satisfied.  This means, God, that the times when I don't understand, it's okay, because I don't have to understand.  You have a plan and a purpose, and that is enough.

Teach me to be strong in my faith, to place my all in Your hands, to love You completely.  

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment