Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Genesis 12-15

Daily Reading
Bible with Cross 
Daily Thought

Written one after the other, you see a remarkable similarity between the stories of Babel (Genesis 11:1-9) and Abram (Genesis 12:1-3).  Both the people of Babel and Abram were going to be a great community.  In Babel, they would build a marvelous city with a tower that reached the heavens.  To Abram, the promise of a great nation.  The people of Babel said, "Let us make a name for ourselves," and God said to Abram, "and I will make your name great."   Both had their eyes on a great nation and a great name.  So what's the difference?

Self-made versus God-made.  The people of Babel said, "Let us make..."  They desired to do without God.  Times haven't changed.  Last year, scientist Stephen Hawking concluded that the universe itself could do without God. The laws of nature's physics made the Big Bang inevitable, so, "It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going." Abram, on the other hand, was stamped "made by God."  Genesis 12:2, "And I will make you..."

Inward focus versus outward blessing.  Because Babel was self-made, they were made for themselves.  Their focus was inward, "...lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth."  God, rather, turns us toward others.  God made Abram a great nation, gave him a great name, "...so that you will be a blessing."  

Self made, self consumed; or made by God "and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed" (Genesis 12:3).

Daily Prayer

Creator, You made me.  Fearfully and wonderfully, you formed me for a purpose.  You are in charge, You are God, and, best of all, You are good.  My passion is to do the good You have made me to do. To be a blessing, as I have been so blessed.  To love, because You first loved me.  

I find myself on my knees in worship, because I am amazed, in awe of You.  The heavens and earth proclaim Your majesty.  And You would think of me, one so small?  In my smallness, You've placed Your image, given me Your Spirit, and You call me to be a blessing to others.  Of course, I'll do it!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment