Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Genesis 48-50

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Moses was called by God, but who put Pharaoh on the throne of Egypt? For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth" (Romans 9:17).

Wicked nations cleaned up God's people.  For behold, I am raising up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation (Habakkuk 1:6).  They were God's servants, whether or not they intended to be.

Would Jews ever partner with Romans? Never!! "This Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men" (Acts 2:23). Except they did, because God required a cross.

Jesus chose twelve disciples, including one named Judas Iscariot. Jesus answered them, "Did I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil" (John 6:70).

And 10 brothers were intent on murder, but God was intent on salvation, so Joseph was sold as a slave to be just the right person in just the right place at just the right time. "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today" (Genesis 50:20).

This world has never been out of God's control, and when you know that, you know what happens next.  And Joseph said to his brothers, "I am about to die, but God will visit you and bring you up out of this land to the land that he swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob" (Genesis 50:24).

Whatever God has promised.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer 

Sovereign God, the mountains and the oceans, the sun and moon and stars display Your majesty.  I hear Your story in the history of my world. I see Your love and Your lordship in, and often in spite of, the events around me.  Throughout history, we people try to live without You and against You.  How foolish!  How foolish we are if we do not call You King of kings and Lord of lords.  You are sovereign over the good and the bad.  Over all.

Lord, may I live in such a way that people see good works and praise You. God, may I always walk in Your Holy Spirit and do those works You have set before me, good works that reflect Your love to this world.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment