Thursday, January 5, 2012

Genesis 16-18

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Chutzpah, a Yiddish word, means audacity, utter nerve, effrontery, nearly arrogant courage, impudence, supreme self-confidence, unbelievable gall, insolence. Author Ruth Pennebaker says New York pedestrians have chutzpah.

They step into traffic, no matter what color the traffic light is, no matter whether it's a Greyhound bus or some hybrid toy car bearing down on them.  These pedestrians do not look, they do not flinch, they only move forward in any direction they want to go.  When they come face-to-face with a car and driver, they show total disdain and the purest scorn.

There is bad chutzpah. Arrogant insolence. Don't do that. 

But there is good chutzpah. Abraham had a good chutzpah. He argued with God over His plans to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. "What if there are 50 righteous? 45? 40? 30? 20? 10?" (Genesis 18:23-33)  Moses had good chutzpah. He, too, argued with God to save His own people, even when they were wrong (Numbers 14:13-19).  King David had enormous chutzpah. He couldn't fathom how anyone could be afraid of a giant warrior who was deriding and embarrassing the Jewish nation (1Samuel 17:45-47).  Of course, Jesus had chutzpah.  "He who is without sin cast the first stone" (John 8:7).

How's your prayer life?  Routine?  Perhaps it could use some chutzpah.

Daily Prayer

My God, I love Your promises.  Ask anything in faith and it will be done for you.  You do not have, because you do not ask.  God, may I be bold with You.  May I trust You so much that I believe You go before me.  That You have my best in mind.  Not my will, but Yours be done.  Delight myself in You and I will have the desires of my heart.  All things work for good to those who love You. 

With great boldness, God, may I step out in faith and call on Your promises.  May I walk in expectation that You mean what You say, and that my life has meaning because You set my path in front of me.  God, I trust You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment