Friday, January 27, 2012

Exodus 28-29

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

We become accustomed to the way things are.  In the movie Grand Canyon, five hoods threaten a tow-truck driver doing his job in the bad part of town. "Man," says the driver, "the world ain't supposed to work like this. Maybe you don't know that, but this ain't the way it's supposed to be. I'm supposed to be able to do my job without askin' you if I can. And that dude is supposed to be able to wait with his car without you rippin' him off. Everything's supposed to be different than what it is here."

We need reminders that there is something better.  "Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD" (Exodus 29:18).  The Hebrews sacrificed daily offerings to God, a pleasing aroma, an aroma that filled the air, reminding all that this life is not the way it's supposed to be.

Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your true and proper worship. ~Romans 12:1-2

To follow Jesus is to be that pleasing aroma to God, a reminder that this life is not the way it's supposed to be.  That there is something better.  That there is something good.

Daily Prayer

God of heaven and earth, You are wonderful, marvelous. You fill creation with Your glory. It is beyond spectacular. The use of the word awesome would be rightly reserved for You and Your works alone.

God, made in Your image, should I reflect Your glory? Of course! Should others see me and praise You? Absolutely. Forgive me, then, because I fall short. Teach me to walk in Your ways, so others will see the way to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment