Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Exodus 19-21

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

"You shall have no other gods before me," the first, the foundation of all the other commandments.  Keep this one and the rest fall in line.  But listen to it.  Hear it as the Israelites did.  You are to have no other gods.  There were many gods, all kinds of gods.  This was a polytheistic world, and people picked their favorite brands to worship.  

The God of Israel had given Israel his name, Yahweh, I AM.  If I AM, the other gods are not, which Yahweh had demonstrated repeatedly in the Exodus from Egypt.  Yahweh reminds them, "I AM Yahweh, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery."  Who saved you?  Me and Me Alone.  Who shall you worship?  Me, and Me Alone.  

We live in a world that tells us no god is above another.  That all are to be respected.  But we worship Jesus Christ, and Christ alone.  Why?  Because we know that "there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).  We worship Christ alone, because Christ alone saved us.  Who brought you out of Egypt? Who died for your sins? Through whom did you experience God's forgiveness? Who gave you a new life? That is the One and only One worthy of your worship.

Daily Prayer

O LORD my God, You and You alone are God, worthy of my devotion, my worship, my love, and my life.  With all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, I love and adore You.  You bring each day afresh and put a thankful expectation of Your grace and glory in my heart.  As I live this day for You, may I see Your handiwork in this world.  May I reflect Your grace to others.  May I love the people You created with the same tender love that led Your Son to endure the cross.  

Fill my thoughts with the wonder of Your Kingdom and guide my steps toward righteousness.  May I be so heavenly-minded that the world cannot help but see Your goodness shine.  Teach me to obey all that You have commanded, because that's the best way to live.  I love You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment