Monday, January 16, 2012

Genesis 46-47

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

God tells Jacob to go to Egypt where he will make Jacob's descendants into a great nation. God also mentions that this great nation will be persecuted slaves for 400 years (see Genesis 15:13) before they get to the Promised Land.

What should Jacob do, knowing this?  There will be suffering.  Is it worth it?

God has invited you to be a child in his Kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ. He also mentions you will suffer for your faith. A lot. And the world will hate you. Such an offer!

Do you say, "Yes"?  You should.  It's not only the right thing to do, it's worth it.

There is this crazy, wonderful guy named Mike Yaconelli who said, "Yes."   

If I were to have a heart attack right at this moment, I hope I would have just enough air in my lungs and just enough strength in me to utter one last sentence as I fell to the floor: 'What a ride!' My life has been up and down, careening left then right, full of mistakes and bad decisions, and if I died right now, even though I would love to live longer, I could say from the depths of my soul, 'What a ride!'
~Mike Yaconelli, Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith

Now if we are children, then we are heirs - heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. ~Romans 8:17

Mike Yaconelli died of a heart attack in 2003.  He was driving late at night, alone in his truck, so we do not know if it was uttered, but it does seem likely... "What a ride!"

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

My God, I praise You. I love to say Your Name.  I love to proclaim Your Name. Let the praises ring!  Let the ride begin!

I say "Yes," and am ready for whatever comes.  In the confidence of Your salvation, with the Spirit in my heart, I will share in the sufferings of Your Son, Jesus Christ. May I hold on tight, always keeping my eyes on Your Son and the future glory. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment