Saturday, January 14, 2012

Genesis 41-42

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Remember the two dreams Joseph had when he was 17?  Sheaves of wheat in one, the sun, moon, and stars in the other, and they all bowed down to Joseph. Those dreams spoke of great promise for Joseph someday, but so far, they had been nothing but trouble. Joseph, the "dreamer" his brothers called him, had been disowned by his family, enslaved in Egypt, and forgotten in prison. 

Joseph, now 30, is sitting in a dark cell, when he is called before the Pharaoh.  "I had a pair of dreams," said Pharaoh, "and no one can tell me the meaning.  I have been told you are good with dreams."

If you're Joseph, how do you feel about that?  You had a pair of dreams once.  God showed you a great future, but nothing so far has happened.  Me first, God.  What about the answers to my dreams?

Instead, Joseph replied to Pharaoh, "God will give Pharaoh the answer he desires." ~Genesis 41:16

Joseph said, "God first."

Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well.
~Matthew 6:33

Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you." ~Genesis 41:39-40

And they all bowed down to Joseph.

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, You called me and saved me in order to make me like Your Son, my Lord Jesus Christ. Change me, day by day, by the work of Your Holy Spirit, so that I may grow more like Jesus in all that I think and say and do.

Help me to remain faithful to You and Your calling upon my life.  Strengthen and grow my trust in You, as the trials and experiences of life shape my faith.  You know best, God.  Help me remember that.  It's amazing how much different, how much better, how good my life is, when I put You first.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment