Monday, February 13, 2012

Numbers 5-6

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Marriage is foundational to a godly people, and unfaithfulness is a serious charge.  Numbers 5:11-31 describes a rather bizarre test of a wife based on the unsubstantiated suspicions of a husband.  This was not a courtroom trial, but rather a public ordeal sufficiently terrifying, designed to force guilt or innocence to show itself.  The threat of the test appears to be the power of the test.  No one knew the results in advance, therefore, if the woman was proved innocent, the husband owed the wife a public apology equal to the public accusation.  The woman, if guilty, upon drinking the water would suffer pain and never bear children again.  Thus, it is likely she wouldn't drink and incur the curse, but confess instead.  

This isn't how we run courtrooms today, is it?  Instead, we suffer broken marriages and adulterous relationships.  We do not enjoy, and enjoy does seem a a strange yet appropriate word, the fear of the Lord and the fear of the Lord's ways.  Perhaps if we did, we would also enjoy more of God's blessings.

Daily Prayer

My Holy God, You are good and just and holy and loving and full of grace. Your Son was pierced for my transgressions, He was crushed for my iniquities; the punishment that brought me peace was upon Him; by His wounds I am healed.  May I take sin as seriously as He did.

Thank You, Father, for salvation, for forgiveness, for the atonement for my sins offered by the death of Jesus Christ. Thank You Jesus for taking what I deserve so that I will share in what You deserve.  May my love You for You be seen in my desire for righteousness.  

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment