Friday, February 10, 2012

Leviticus 26-27

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Principles of Discipline from Leviticus 26
  1. Clearly communicate the rules and their consequences, rewards for obedience and penalties for disobedience.  Now the Israelites are responsible for the consequences, not God.
  2. Don't make threats, make promises.  Threats communicate intention, promises communicate action.  God let the Israelites know he would follow through.
  3. Start small and build.  The results build when the actions become habits, and when the habits become character.  
  4. Include both positive and negative consequences.  This doubles the motivation to do what is right and good.  God says "yes" as often as he says "no."
  5. Provide hope.  God gives the Israelites a way of escaping the consequences, by confessing, repenting and making amends.  
That's good parenting!

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, You are the Creator of all things.  You are God.  I am not, but You did create me in Your image. Within me is a knowledge of You. I have eternity in my heart. I know You, and I know what is right and wrong, what is good and evil.  

Why I choose not to follow You when the consequences are terrible, I can't explain.  But I do.  Teach me Your ways, O Lord.  Thank You for Your Son, who showed me You again, and made restoration possible. May I follow You, may I conform to Your image, may I call You Father.   

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment