Saturday, February 25, 2012

Numbers 33-34

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The LORD commanded Moses to keep a list of the places Israel camped after departing Egypt.  These are the stages of the people of Israel, when they went out of the land of Egypt by their companies under the leadership of Moses and Aaron. Moses wrote down their starting places, stage by stage, by command of the Lord, and these are their stages according to their starting places (Numbers 33:1-2).  But Numbers 33 is more than just a list of places, it is a testimony to the sovereignty and faithfulness of God in dealing with his people.  No difficulty too great, the LORD parted the Red Sea to let his people escape, then closed it and drowned the Egyptian army.  When the people of God met danger, God prevailed over their enemies.  When they thirst, God supplied water, and fed them daily manna from heaven.  Miriam died at Kadesh (v 36), and the LORD provided another woman to lead the choir.  Aaron died at Mount Hor (vv 38-39), and his son Eleazar stepped in.  Eventually Moses died, and Joshua succeeded him.

In all of these changes, God remained the same and stayed true to his people.  What I find most amazing is the 38 years of wandering in the wilderness.  You can't find them in this passage, because they are hidden right there between verses 36 and 37.  And God never left them.

God is great, and in the midst of our freedom to wander, he still accomplishes his purpose.  The Lord spoke to Moses, saying, "Command the people of Israel, and say to them, When you enter the land of Canaan..." (Numbers 34:1-2).  No matter, they are going to the Promised Land.

Daily Prayer

Faithful Father, no matter what, no matter the ways I wander, no matter my heart's rebellion, you came to seek and to save me.  You are forever true and I am eternally grateful.  Thank You for Your grace, for Your long-suffering, for Your patience and persistence.  I strayed and you found me and put me on the right path.  

You have invited me to follow You.  I will follow.  I will be a disciple of Your Son, Jesus Christ.  I will learn from You and grow in Your likeness, so that I might display Your glory and point others to the way of life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment