Friday, February 17, 2012

Numbers 14-15

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Over and over the people complain.  The common theme, "Would it not be better for us to go back to Egypt?" (Numbers 14:3). We read this and we ask incredulously, how can these people ignore the memory of slavery in Egypt?  

The same way you and I do.

Just as God had delivered Israel from their slavery of Egypt, he has delivered us from our slavery to sin. And yet, we want to go back. We want to go back to prison. It doesn't matter what God has accomplished,  Christmas and Good Friday and Easter, God in the flesh, died on the cross, rose the third day.  He delivered us from the misery of slavery to sin and Satan.   

Despite all of that, we want to go back to our slavery.  We prefer our sin.  Somehow, in those moments when the flesh gets the upper hand, we think we had it better in Egypt. We deserve the punishment, the fire (Numbers 11:1) and the plague (Numbers 11:33).   

But our God is patient.  His grace provides us salvation.  To the Israelites, a deliverer named Moses argued their case.  Now, one better, Jesus, who gave his life for us.    

Daily Prayer

My God, may I remember Your justice and also Your grace.  May I reflect on Your holiness and Your love.  I choose sin too often, and deserve slavery.  But You are patient. Thank You.  Thank You for Your Son who took my sins and pleads my case.  That in His Name and by His blood, I have His righteousness.  

Because of Jesus, may I be holy and righteous.  May I love what is good and despise the rebellion that leads to slavery.  May I live freely a life that displays Your goodness and glory.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment