Thursday, February 16, 2012

Numbers 11-13

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Twelve spies were sent by Moses to check out the land of Canaan, the Promised Land of God.  They returned after forty days, with good news.  The land was flowing with milk and honey.  However, their was bad news, as well.  The people were strong and their cities fortified.  "There we saw the Nephilim (the sons of Anak, who come from the Nephilim), and we seemed to ourselves like like grasshoppers, and so we seemed to them" (Numbers 13:33).

There would be, someday, another warrior of God, thought to small for battle against a large opponent.  David was too small to fight Goliath the Philistine.  First King Saul told him, "You can't fight Goliath. You're only a boy."  Then David put on the armor, but it didn't fit. If you are too small for the armor, you are too small for the battle.  Finally, the big Philistine himself laughed at David, "Am I a dog, that you come at me with sticks?"

That was the Israelites' problem, someone thought they were too small for battle, but it wasn't the Nephilim or the Amalekites or the Hittites or the Jebusites or the Amorites or the Canaanites.  It was the Israelites themselves.  "We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes."

It never occurred to David to measure himself.  He measured Goliath. He measured God.  "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel" (1Samuel 17:45).  So, David killed Goliath with a slingshot. Then he cut off his head.

Daily Prayer

Awesome God, You reign from heaven above with wisdom, power, and love. You are the Almighty, the Everlasting, my Stronghold, my Shelter, my Fortress in time of trouble. You are my Savior.

My God is an awesome God. May I never rely on my own strength and may I never forget Your strength. I shall place my trust in it, in You, always. If my God is for me, who can be against me?

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment