Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Leviticus 22-23

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

In 1946, Truett Cathy opened a restaurant he dubbed the Dwarf Grill, because it was small. Right from the start, Cathy determined they would rest on the Lord's Day.  "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work. It is a Sabbath to the LORD in all your dwelling places" (Leviticus 23:3).  Closed on Sunday.  I guess you can do that when you're small.

Have you ever heard of Chick-Fil-A? That was Truett's next restaurant. Chain of restaurants, actually. They are HUGE! They are everywhere.  They are closed on Sunday.  Truett Cathy explains why. "Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work."

When I heard about Truett Cathy's commitment, I wanted to support him.  So, right after church, I took the whole family to lunch at Chick-Fil-A.  They were closed.

Daily Prayer

Creator God, in six days You created the heavens and the earth. All the glory and majesty. All of life. On the seventh day, You rested. You show me how to work and how to worship.

My desire, God, is to be like You. To reflect Your image. To be Christlike. Father, may I rest in You. Strengthen my faith so that I trust You enough to stop. To stop my efforts. To live in Your rest, Your care, Your glory.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment