Sunday, February 19, 2012

Numbers 18-20

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

God delivered the Hebrews from slavery in Egypt and all they have done is grumble and complain, sin and rebel. Now they are whining again. They are thirsty.  

Now there was no water for the congregation. And they assembled themselves together against Moses and against Aaron. And the people quarreled with Moses and said, "Would that we had perished when our brothers perished before the Lord! Why have you brought the assembly of the Lord into this wilderness, that we should die here, both we and our cattle? And why have you made us come up out of Egypt to bring us to this evil place? It is no place for grain or figs or vines or pomegranates, and there is no water to drink" (Numbers 20:2-5).

After all that God has done, more complaining?  So, Moses asks a legitimate question, "Hear now, you rebels: must we bring water for you out of this rock?"  

No! But he does anyway.

You would think we would learn, but we don't.  On page 932 in my Bible, Jesus is in a garden. "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me." For 931 pages, the people have continued to grumble and complain, sin and rebel, just like the Israelites in the wilderness.

Legitimate question, "Must Jesus drink the cup?"

No. But he does anyway.

I get on my knees after years of grumbling and complaining, sinning and rebelling.  "Jesus, save me."  

Must he?  "For by grace you have been saved..." (Ephesians 2:8).

No.  But he does anyway.

Daily Prayer

Loving God, You show me your love in grace. I do not deserve it, I do not desire it even, and I certainly do not seek it. And then You die for me anyway. You take my sins on Yourself, you pay the price of justification, and You share Your righteousness with me. You adopt me as Your child, and I am co-heir with Christ.

How can I possibly not love You? I love because You first loved me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment