Monday, February 27, 2012

Deuteronomy 1-2

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The Israelites were at Horeb, a.k.a. Mt. Sinai.  God meets Moses, the Ten Commandments, thunder and lightning, thick clouds and trumpet blasts.  It was awesome, wonderful, uplifting, edifying, inspirational, and terrifying. Everything that makes up a good church service.  It was also long (like a church service).  Now it is time to go.  The LORD our God said to his people at Horeb, "You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Break camp and advance..." (Deuteronomy 1:6-7 NIV).

God has a promise to fulfill. God has a purpose for his people.  "I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed" (Genesis 12:2-3).

Centuries later, with the Lord Jesus, the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain. They worshiped Jesus there. Then Jesus said the same thing to his followers, "Go!" (Matthew 28:16-19).  Every church service every week should close the same way, "You have stayed long enough at this mountain. Break camp and advance..."  

...that you will be a blessing.

Daily Prayer

Father God, it is good to gather and worship. It is wonderful to hear Your Word. I love to be blessed. Who wouldn't?

God, it is good to scatter and bless. May I bless others by sharing the blessings You have poured out on me. I know Your Son, may I make Him known. May I be filled to overflowing with Your Spirit. May I love and serve and share Your good news to people everywhere, across the street and around the world.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment