Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Numbers 26-27

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The Lord said to Moses, "Go up into this mountain of Abarim and see the land that I have given to the people of Israel. When you have seen it, you also shall be gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was, because you rebelled against my word in the wilderness of Zin" (Numbers 27:12-14).  For forty years, Moses led a whiny, complaining tribe of Hebrews to the Promised Land.  Then, within a stone's throw of their destination, Moses sinned, and God said, "You're not going in, Moses."  Ever faithful, Moses passes the mantle of leadership to Joshua.  Watch how, Numbers 27:18-21.

Moses leads, Joshua watches, verse 18: So the Lord said to Moses, "Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the Spirit, and lay your hand on him."

Moses leads with Joshua by his side, verse 19: "Make him stand before Eleazar the priest and all the congregation, and you shall commission him in their sight." 

Joshua leads with Moses by his side, verse 20: "You shall invest him with some of your authority, that all the congregation of the people of Israel may obey." 

Joshua leads, Moses watches, verse 21: "And he shall stand before Eleazar the priest, who shall inquire for him by the judgment of the Urim before the Lord. At his word they shall go out, and at his word they shall come in, both he and all the people of Israel with him, the whole congregation."

That's leadership, and that how you pass it along to the next generation.

Daily Prayer

Father God, thank You for investing in me.  You rescued me from sin and filled me with Your Holy Spirit.  Now I am Your ambassador, declaring and displaying the good news of Jesus Christ to a lost world, desperately in need of salvation.  

God, may I be holy, set apart for Your pleasure, for Your good news, for Your service on earth. May I do the same things I saw Your Son do, letting go of my will and my treasures, leading others to Your Kingdom, serving others in love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment