Saturday, April 7, 2012

2 Samuel 8-12

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Saul learned early on that the first rule of being king is protect the throne. Remove the competition. When Saul was king, David was the competition. Many times Saul tried to  kill David, but he did not succeed, and now David is king.  And David said, "Is there still anyone left of the house of Saul, that I may show him kindness for Jonathan's sake?" (2Samuel 9:1). Are you kidding?  Kindness?  If there is anyone left of the house of Saul, that person has claim to the throne. The first rule of king: Remove the competition. Protect the throne.

Mephibosheth was the son of Jonathan, the son of Saul. Heir to the throne. Mephibosheth was the competition. And David said to him, "Do not fear, for I will show you kindness for the sake of your father Jonathan, and I will restore to you all the land of Saul your father, and you shall eat at my table always" (2Samuel 9:7). David changed the rules. 

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 5:43-45). If you treat your enemy as your enemy treats you, you will become like your enemy. If you treat your enemy as Jesus treats you, you will become like Jesus.

Daily Prayer

Father in Heaven, You are love - all that love is or can be or can do. My love is soft, convenient. I am careful with my love, lest I be hurt. Your love walks into hurtful places and does what is difficult, risking it all. Your Son died because You love us.

God, may I walk in that kind of love, confident love, passionate love, active love, love that risks. Love where no love is returned. Loving even my enemies. In a world where love has lost its meaning, may I be a definition of Your love.  May I change the rules.  May I display Godly love toward all people all the time.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment