Monday, April 30, 2012

1 Chronicles 1-2

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The genealogy of man begins with Adam (1Chronicles 1:1), the first man. "God saw everything that he had made, and behold, it was very good" (Genesis 1:31). Then Seth, Enosh, Kenan, Mahalalel, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah (vv 1-4). "And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart" (Genesis 6:6). Ten generations, that's all. From very good to very bad, one bite from a delightful piece of fruit turned loose a flood.

Jesus described life now, with a warning, "Just as it was in the days of Noah, so will it be in the days of the Son of Man. They were eating and drinking and marrying and being given in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and the flood came..." (Luke 17:26-27). The generations continue, but the fruit has done its damage. 

First Chronicles continues its genealogy through Abraham and Jacob and David, establishing the bloodline of the nation of Judah. It is, regrettably, a genealogy filled with sin and sinners. Thankfully, another genealogy at the beginning of the New Testament continues where Chronicles leaves off, all the way to, "and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ" (Matthew 1:16). 

The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost (1Timothy 1:15). 

Daily Prayer

Oh God, the record of my life matches the record of all lives, I seek my own way. I look at the fruit as Eve did, that it is pleasing to the eye and delicious, and I bite into it, as well. I'm so glad You had a plan to deal with that, to save me without me even asking for a Savior. You are my Creator, the author of life, and the Source of all that is good. I say that's what I want from life, goodness and love, but I found the opposite on my own. 

God, You are good and You are love. I want to know You more. I want to know the depths of Your wisdom, and the breadth of Your love. May I always seek You and follow You. Lead me in the way of righteousness and life. Lead me always to Jesus.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment