Monday, April 2, 2012

1 Samuel 21-24

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

King Saul threw a spear at David, attempting to pin him against the wall.  Twice he threw it according to 1Samuel 18:10-11.  Once again in chapter 19, verse 10.  David was well aware Saul wanted him dead.  Jonathan still thought better of his father, the king, until he challenged him, defending David, "Why should he be put to death? What has he done?" This time Saul hurled his spear at Jonathan, and Jonathan knew that his father was determined to put David to death (1Samuel 20:33). 

David was a better man than Saul; a better warrior, too.  Saul tried to kill David three times. Saul was a disgrace as king. David should be king, and David will be king.  There was a cave, and Saul went in to relieve himself, and the men of David said to him, "Here is the day of which the Lord said to you, 'Behold, I will give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it shall seem good to you'" (1Samuel 24:3-4). 

David could kill Saul and he had every reason to, but one. "The Lord forbid that I should do this thing to my lord, the Lord's anointed, to put out my hand against him, seeing he is the Lord's anointed" (1Samuel 24:6).  If David ignored God's plan and gained the throne by blood, then he'd be like Saul.  Israel did not need another king like Saul. 

Daily Prayer

God, my Savior, I offer myself, body, soul, and spirit, as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to You. I love You, heart, soul, mind, and strength. Transform me God, to reflect Your glory, to resemble Your Son.  Keep me humble and good.

You would rather I obey than play at religion. My obedience is not a demonstration of my righteousness, but a sign of my love. I want to know Your Word, follow Your ways, and live in Your love. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment