Sunday, April 22, 2012

2 Kings 4-5

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Naaman, commander of the army of the king of Syria, was a great man with his master and in high favor, because by him the Lord had given victory to Syria. This mighty man of valor showed up at the door of Elisha with horses and chariots, silver and gold, a great man, but he was a leper (2Kings 5:1). God, however, is not impressed with our power. Naaman thought himself a great man who happened to be a leper. Elisha treated the leper, not the great man, "Go, wash yourself." Naaman went away angry. Naaman was a hero and expected a hero's cure. "I thought that he would surely come out to me and stand and call upon the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand over the place" (2Kings 5:11). He thought his problem was leprosy. Elisha treated a deadlier disease called pride.  

A Roman centurion showed up at the door of Jesus with humility, his servant paralyzed and suffering. "Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed" (Matthew 8:8-9). God is delighted with our faith. Jesus said, "Go; let it be done for you as you have believed." And the servant was healed at that very moment (Matthew 8:13). 

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, why do I try to impress You with what I can do? As if I can bring anything to You that You need. You created all things, You own the cattle on a thousand hills. It's not because You have any need that You delight in my company. You simply delight in my company. I don't understand that, but I'm thrilled.

God, I bring nothing to You except my faith, my devotion, my obedience, and my love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment