Friday, April 13, 2012

1 Kings 3-5

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

My oldest was 4-years old when Disney's Aladdin premiered in the theaters. I asked her what she'd ask for if a genie appeared offering her "three wishes, to be exact. And ixnay on the wishing for more wishes." Not a problem for my 4-year old. Abby said, "I'd wish for three more genies." Abby was clever. 

God said to Solomon, "Ask what I shall give you" (1Kings 3:5). It is the same offer without conditions. What would you ask for? God anticipated a request for long life or wealth or for some tortuous death of a particularly awful enemy, but no; "Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil" (1Kings 3:9). Solomon asked for wisdom. Solomon was already wise. 

Two women approached Solomon, each having given birth, but one child died, and whose the live child belonged to was in dispute. Solomon pulled a sword and threatened to divide the child, half to each mother. The false mother thought that fair, but the true gave her son away, if only to keep him whole. "And so the king knew the true mother, and all Israel heard of the judgment that the king had rendered, and they stood in awe of the king, because they perceived that the wisdom of God was in him to do justice" (1Kings 3:28). There are few things less common than common sense. 

Daily Prayer

Righteous God, You are just and good. You promise wisdom if I ask for it, but You warn me to ask with a pure and faithful heart. God, may I love You with all my heart, with all my strength, with all my mind. No division. May I seek You and You alone. 

May I have the heart of Your Son, Jesus, who considered others better than Himself. Better than Himself! He is God. Your Son. Yet He washed the feet of His followers. Father, break into my heart. Teach me the humility of Christ.  Let my love for You be displayed in my care and compassion for others.  Give me wisdom to serve.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment