Friday, April 20, 2012

1 Kings 21-22

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Jehoshaphat, king of Judah, and Ahab, king of Israel, went to war together against the Syrians.  Before the battle, however, Jehoshaphat insisted on hearing from God. Ahab called his 400 prophets who always told him what he wanted to hear, and they did as they always do, "Go up, for the Lord will give it into the hand of the king" (1Kings 22:6). 

I coached my son's T-ball team. The parents in charge decided not to keep score in this league. Every game would end in a tie. It will make the kids happy, they said. We played a game and we tied (they said). On the way home in the car, my son frowned, "We lost 8-3." He knew the score. Every kid knew the score. Of every game. (So did the parents.) "So, why did they tell us we tied?" You know what made him sad? The lie, not the score. 

Jehoshaphat knew the score. He knew the king's prophets wanted the king happy. "Is there not here another prophet of the Lord of whom we may inquire?" "Micaiah," Ahab admitted, "but I hate him, for he never prophesies good concerning me, but evil." (1Kings 22:7-8). When you hear the truth and it is not good, you have two choices: change the truth or change your plans. Ahab preferred to change the truth, but he knew the score. "The Lord has declared disaster for you" (1Kings 22:23). Ahab believed the word of the Lord enough to disguise himself, but not enough to change his plans (v 30). At evening he died (v 35). 

Daily Prayer

My Lord and Savior, the Truth is I am a sinner and I need a Savior.  I need You.  You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life. The world does not like the truth, preferring darkness over light, preferring to hear what they want to hear. We would rather hear that I'm okay and you're okay.  That everything will work out in the end.  But it won't.  Telling the Truth is dangerous. You told it anyway, and You were crucified. 

But death cannot stop the Truth. You rose again, and offered salvation to all who follow You.  The Truth sets me free from the power of sin and death.  May I love Your Truth, stand for the Truth, desire Truth and share Truth.  I know the score.  I am a sinner and I deserve death.  I need a Savior.  That is the Truth.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment