Saturday, April 14, 2012

1 Kings 6-7

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Now the word of the Lord came to Solomon, "Concerning this house that you are building, if you will walk in my statutes and obey my rules and keep all my commandments and walk in them, then I will establish my word with you, which I spoke to David your father. And I will dwell among the children of Israel and will not forsake my people Israel." ~1Kings 6:11-13

King David was a man after God's heart, but that does not mean he did not sin. "I have sinned greatly" (2Samuel 24:10), was David's confession to his God after commanding a census. By God's will David was chosen king, and by God's power David attained the throne, but when he counted his people he was counting his soldiers, relying on his own strength to rule his kingdom. Repenting of this sin, David purchased property on Mount Moriah where he built an alter to worship the Lord. A greater sin yet was David's adultery with Bathsheba and murder of her husband, Uriah. Out of this sin, David married Bathsheba, and later they had a child, naming him Solomon (2Samuel 12:24). 

David's sins came with great cost, but even in the darkness of sin shines the power of God's redemption. "Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more" (Romans 5:20). From the depths of sin, God produced a man and a mountain, and "Solomon began to build the house of the Lord in Jerusalem on Mount Moriah" (2Chronicles 3:1). This does not justify sin but displays grace and reminds us to trust God's salvation. Satan would have us deflated by failure, but we are made large through salvation and must press on confidently, because we are more than conquerors through him who loved us (Romans 8:37).

Daily Prayer

Holy God, how great a salvation. As your servant King David asked, "O LORD, who am I that You care for me," I am amazed by Your grace, that You turn your attention toward me. I keep turning my attention away, yet You look upon me and care about me and restore me. 

God, may my focus never waver. Keep me from being distracted by things. May I look to You first, may I seek Your kingdom, your goodness, You always.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment