Wednesday, April 11, 2012

2 Samuel 22-24

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

David's heart struck him after he had numbered the people. And David said to the Lord, "I have sinned greatly in what I have done" (2Samuel 24:10). What David had done was count his soldiers. He wanted to know how strong he was. One million one hundred thousand men who could handle a sword. "As for me, I said in my prosperity, I shall never be moved" (A Psalm of David 30:6). David believed he had measured the strength of Israel, but it was the wrong measure, and "again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and he incited David against them" (2Samuel 24:1). God moved David to take the census to expose David and Israel's pride. The primary reason for taking a census was to know the size of the nation's army and its ability to win wars. In that case, David need only count to one. "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one" (Deuteronomy 6:4). You can count on God, or you can count your soldiers. 

"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer,
     my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation,
     my stronghold and my refuge,
    my savior; you save me from violence.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised,
    and I am saved from my enemies."
~2Samuel 22:2-4

David knew this; he had written a song, but he forgot the words.

Daily Prayer

Almighty God, You are my strength. With you, I am are more than a conqueror.  When I act on my own strength, I act on my own. Either I fail or my head gets big. Keep me from thinking I can handle the troubles and temptations of this world on my own.  I can't.  

I must remember that when I am weak, that is when You go to work.  I am strong, not because of what I am capable of, but because You are almighty. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment