Monday, April 16, 2012

1 Kings 10-11

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The Queen of Sheba visited the kingdom of Solomon. When the Queen of Sheba exclaims, "Behold, the half was not told me. Your wisdom and prosperity surpass the report that I heard" (1Kings 10:7), you know you have all you need and more. It was not just the wealth, but the women. Many foreign women. God said, "You shall not enter into marriage with them, for surely they will turn away your heart after their gods" (1Kings 11:1). He did and they did. Having everything you want is not always best.

Remember the nursery rhyme, "Humpty Dumpty"? Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall; Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the kings horses and all the kings men -- "Solomon gathered together chariots and horsemen. He had 1,400 chariots and 12,000 horsemen, whom he stationed in the chariot cities and with the king in Jerusalem (1Kings 10:26) -- they couldn't put Solomon together again. Solomon's father, David, had been fully devoted. Solomon was fully divided. The kingdom would be divided as well.

If Satan cannot ruin you by failure, he will try by success. 

Daily Prayer

God of Love, I only know what love is because of You. My kind of love leans toward selfishness. What is in it for me? But You, the God of all creation, considered me, the one You created, better than Yourself. Even while I had my back turned to You, You died for me. Your love is sacrificial. It is good. It is life.

God, I have one first love, and that is You. Above all else and all others. What is amazing is I am able to love others better because I love You fully. Thank You for loving me first.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment