Tuesday, April 10, 2012

2 Samuel 19-21

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

David mourns the loss of his son, crying aloud, "O my son Absalom, my son, my son Absalom! Would I had died instead of you, O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2Samuel 18:33; 19:4). Who can fault a father his grief, but it lingers too long and too loud, and Joab is right, "You have made it clear today that commanders and servants are nothing to you, for today I know that if Absalom were alive and all of us were dead today, then you would be pleased."

Death is grievous, and should be. It is the last enemy (1Corinthians 15:26). But there is a particularly awful agony in the loss of a son you never really had, whose death was as pointless as his life. King David the father mourns the life and death of his rebellious, disobedient son, but in doing so, poured scorn on his faithful people who had well-served their king.

What a contrast to the death of another son of David, "who humbled himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death- even death on a cross! Therefore God has highly exalted him (Philippians 2:8-9). God the Father celebrates the life and death of his righteous, obedient Son, who in dying provides salvation to sinful people who crucified their King.

Daily Prayer

God, Your salvation is amazing. I, a sinner, was not looking to be saved, but rather, I was a self-seeking man, longing to be self-satisfied. I could not, however, find satisfaction, contentment, peace, love, purpose in my pursuits. I needed a Savior.

Your Son left His place by Your side and became like me to show me who You are. He  sought me, saved me, and showed me true love. He laid down His life to give me mine.  No greater love.

Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment