Wednesday, April 4, 2012

1 Samuel 28-31

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

In those days the Philistines gathered their forces for war, to fight against Israel (1Samuel 28:1), marching by hundreds and by thousands according to chapter 29.  Saul would lose all. By war's end, he and his three sons were dead. He was afraid, so he turned where he seldom turned, to the Lord, but "the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams, or by Urim, or by prophets" (1Samuel 28:6).  

Chapter 30, when David and his men came to Ziklag, the Amalekites had made a raid, and David found the city burned with fire, and the wives and sons and daughters taken captive, including David's two wives. David had lost all.  He was distressed, so he turned where he always turned, to the Lord, and "David strengthened himself in the Lord his God" (1Samuel 30:6).  

Saul spoke of "your God"; David of "my God." Each had lost all, but Saul had none left because he had not God to begin with and wallowed in empty silence. From David was taken his city, his family, his possessions, but none could take his God. "David strengthened himself in the Lord his God," turning from earth's ruin to the riches of heaven. Whatever else I might lose, as long as I have my God I have enough. 
  
He restores my soul. 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, 
    I will fear no evil, 
for you are with me; 
    your rod and your staff, 
    they comfort me. ~A Psalm of David 23:3, 4

Daily Prayer

Everlasting Father, all of hope rests in You. Away from You can only lead to despair and darkness. You are the light of the World. Your Word shines a light on my path and makes my way straight.

God, daily I will spend time in Your Word. I will put it in my mind and deep in my heart so that it stays with me throughout the day. Thank You for the truth. Your truth. I want to build my house on solid ground.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment