Friday, April 27, 2012

2 Kings 18-19

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Hezekiah removed the high places. The high places were set on hills near cities where people could worship and bring offerings, often to foreign gods, sometimes to the true God. How many times have we heard of kings, "they did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, except the high places were not taken down"? Kings Asa, Jehoshaphat, Joash, Amaziah, Azariah, and Jotham each did right, but left the high places. Hezekiah removed the high places. God desired the gathering of his people in one place for worship, his Temple. The Temple was due for some repairs.

Hezekiah got right on it. In the first year of his reign, in the first month, he opened the doors of the house of the Lord and repaired them. He said to them, "Hear me, Levites! Now consecrate yourselves, and consecrate the house of the Lord." They began to consecrate on the first day of the first month (2Chronicles 29:3, 5, 17). 

Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat portions. And the Lord had regard for Abel and his offering, (Genesis 4:4). 

The best of the firstfruits of your ground you shall bring into the house of the Lord your God (Exodus 23:19). 

Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you (Matthew 6:33). 

First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world (Romans 1:8). 

They gave themselves first to the Lord and then by the will of God to us (2Corinthians 8:5). 

You have abandoned the love you had at first. Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first (Revelation 2:4-5).

First things first.

Hezekiah got it right. He trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel, so that there was none like him among all the kings of Judah after him, nor among those who were before him. For he held fast to the Lord. He did not depart from following him, but kept the commandments that the Lord commanded Moses. And the Lord was with him; wherever he went out, he prospered (2Kings 18:5-7). 

Daily Prayer

My Lord and My God, I worship You and love You with all that I am. Which makes sense, since all that I am was created by You. You had an idea for me before I was born, and You formed me and watched me grow. I grow best, Father, when I remember from Whom I came. 

You are the First and, also, the Last. The Beginning and the End, Alpha and Omega, A and Z. You are before all things, and in You all things hold together. There is no life without You. Why would I even think of living my life without You. You are my God. May I wake each morning and think first of You, beginning each day with anticipation. You are God, One and only, first in all things, first in my heart. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment