Thursday, April 26, 2012

2 Kings 15-17

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The Lord spoke to Moses, "I will take you to be my people, and I will be your God, and you shall know that I am the Lord your God, who has brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians. I will bring you into the land that I swore to give to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob" (Exodus 6:7-8). This was the covenant God made with Israel.

Zechariah the son of Jeroboam reigned over Israel in Samaria six months. And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord (2Kings 15:8-9). Menahem the son of Gadi began to reign over Israel, and he reigned ten years in Samaria. And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord (vv 17-18). Pekahiah the son of Menahem began to reign over Israel in Samaria, and he reigned two years. And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord (vv 23-24). Pekah the son of Remaliah began to reign over Israel in Samaria, and he reigned twenty years. And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord (vv 27-28). Hoshea the son of Elah began to reign in Samaria over Israel, and he reigned nine years. And he did what was evil in the sight of the Lord (2Kings 17:1-2). 

You shall not forget the covenant that I have made with you.
~2Kings 17:38

Selecting his wedding band was easy; deciding on an engraving was her challenge. The jeweler suggested, "I choo choo choose you." Uh, no. "How about 'Today, I married my best friend'?" A little sappy. "You could do your wedding date - April 25, 2012." Hmmm, it would help him remember our anniversary...  "Two hearts, one soul?" I don't think so. "Eternally Yours"; "Today, Tomorrow, Forever"; "My Dream Came True"; "This Day And Always" - No, No, No, No! 

On the wedding night, he pulled off his ring to read the inscription: "Put it back on." 

But Israel kept taking hers off, and in 722BC, "in the ninth year of Hoshea, the king of Assyria captured Samaria, and he carried the Israelites away" (2Kings 17:6). 

Daily Prayer

Loving God, You sought me out and rescued me from the darkness I was in. You paid the price of my redemption. You spilled blood for my salvation. You gave Your life for me.

I love You back. I promise. 

I will not seek other ways, other ideas, other gods. You did not need to seek me. You desired to. I, on the other hand, need to seek You. I pray, my God, that You will be and will always be my one desire, my full desire. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment