Thursday, November 1, 2012

Luke 19-20

Daily Reading
 Luke 19-20

Daily Thought

Given a choice between riches and God, the man clung to his wealth, and Jesus observed, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God" (Luke 18:25). The disciples were shocked, because in their mind, rich people could do anything. Except let go of their riches, explained Jesus, which made it impossible for them to fully follow God. "But what is impossible with man is possible with God" (Luke 18:27). Zacchaeus was "a chief tax collector and rich" (Luke 19:2), just the guy to show what God can do.

Zacchaeus, in name Jewish, served Rome instead, collecting taxes for Caesar. This earned him the hatred of his people, but he favored money more than friends. Little wonder the crowd did not part to let the short guy up front, so Zacchaeus was forced to climb a tree if he would see Jesus. When Jesus stopped under the tree and looked up, Zacchaeus must have feared the worst. The holy man would call out the sinner; but instead, Jesus called out his name, "Zacchaeus, hurry and come down, for I must stay at your house today" (Luke 19:5). Greed had its grips on the heart of Zacchaeus, but grace was stronger. The crowd grumbled that Jesus would "be the guest of a man who is a sinner" (Luke 19:7), and the sinner opened the door and let him in. "Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold" (Luke 19:8). The rich man let go of his riches.

Daily Prayer

Father God, You are good and Your ways are good for me. I choose to follow You, to stay on the path You put before me. Made in Your image, I desire to look like You again. Thank You for Your Son, who showed me what You look like. Thank You for Your Spirit who day-by-day transforms me into Your likeness.

May my life be a reflection of You, so that I can say to others, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." To Your glory,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment