Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Luke 17-18

Daily Reading
 Luke 17-18

Daily Thought

The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: "God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector" (Luke 18:11).

The question is not, "Am I as good as my neighbor?' He is; he is better. "I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get" (Luke 18:12). So he asked for nothing, and that's what he got.

But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" (Luke 18:13). The question is, "Am I as good as God?" He's not; not even close. So he asked for mercy, and that's what he got.

Daily Prayer

Father, I live in a world that competes and compares, instead of loves and lifts up. Protect me from the pride of this world. Keep me humble like Your Son. He is God, and yet He thought others better than Himself, and put His life on the line for them. May I learn to love others like He does, rather than learning to serve self like the world does.

Thank You, God, for Your mercy, Your love, Your salvation. Your Son.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment