Wednesday, November 7, 2012

John 7-8

Daily Reading
John 7-8

Daily Thought

In describing Jesus, the writer of Hebrews observed, "We do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).

The scribes and the Pharisees had caught the woman in adultery and brought her before Jesus. "In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" they asked (John 8:5). It was more a challenge; would he execute justice? Jesus bent down and began writing in the dirt. Many have guessed at what he wrote; I don't think it mattered. He simply took his time and unnerved her accusers, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her" (John 8:7). Only one person standing there could throw a stone, but he didn't. He was back writing in the dirt.

The rest, one by one, walked away. "Has no one condemned you?" Jesus asked. She shook her head no. "Neither do I," said the one who could have, "now stop sinning" (John 8:10-11).

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" (John 3:17).

Daily Prayer

Father of grace and mercy, I have given You every reason to condemn me and cast me away. By Your mercy, you do not give me what I deserve, but have paid the penalty for me. By Your grace, you give me what I do not deserve and call me righteous and holy. A saint.

May I learn from Your grace and mercy and do the same in this world. May I be one who does not condemn, but restores. May I be one who gives grace and shows love to others, no matter what they deserve. May I love my friends and my enemies, my neighbor as myself.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment