Saturday, November 24, 2012

Romans 1-3

Daily Reading
Romans 1-3

Daily Thought

Paul has longed to share the Gospel with the Romans, "for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16). By Greek, Paul means Gentiles, the non-Jews, including Romans. Speaking to the Romans of a Jewish Savior, Paul begins with something they have in common, with the world they can see, in order to explain the unseen, "for what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made" (Romans 1:19-20). 

I looked up the science of a sunset. The intense red and orange hues of the sky at sunrise and sunset are mainly caused by scattering of sunlight by dust particles, soot particles, other solid aerosols, and liquid aerosols in the Earth's atmosphere. The Raleigh equation along with Mie theory employing discrete dipole approximation will mathematically account for the enhancement of the colors. Okay. Then I looked at the sunset. 

The sky unfolding in front of me, colors stroking the heavens, I called my wife and holding her hand, we gazed. Whatever she was doing will wait, because the world has stopped, and we survey the skies, taking time to taste the wonder of the Almighty. "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge" (Psalm 19:1-2). There is much more going on than simple science.

Daily Prayer

Wonderful God, what an incredible creation. The splendor, the spectacular array of colors, shapes, aromas. They speak of Your majesty, Your artistry, Your creativity, Your wisdom, Your power. All of creation glorifies You.

You have called me Your "poema," Your workmanship, Your poem. God, when I look at each person You created, I see a work of art. Your work. My Creator, I pray I will always treat Your workmanship with love and respect, appreciating the wonder of Your handiwork in each and every one of us. I stand and gaze and marvel at Your creation. I worship You. Oh my God, my Creator, my Savior, Heavenly Father, Lord. What a life! You are wonderful. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment