Monday, November 5, 2012

John 3-4

Daily Reading
John 3-4

Daily Thought

Nicodemus came to Jesus at night, not to hide from his fellow Pharisees, as many have supposed, but because he was part of the darkness. John, the writer of this gospel, makes much of darkness and light. "In him was life," John introduces Jesus, "and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:4-5). Here stands Nicodemus at night, from the darkness, he approaches the light.

Jesus didn't even let him ask his question. All Nicodemus got out was the flattery, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him" (John 3:2), before Jesus cut him off and answered the question he should have been asking, "Unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). Still dark, and Nicodemus said so. Jesus continued, "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit" (John 3:8). That didn't help. Nicodemus still couldn't see. "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up" (John 3:14). That made no sense whatsoever to Nicodemus, but he kept listening.

Then Jesus said it, that most famous of all Bible verses, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16). And it was day.

Daily Prayer

God, there is so much evidence of You. Everywhere I look screams of Your wonder and majesty. How can I doubt? How can I walk away? How can I chase other gods? You are the Creator, the Everlasting God. In You I am done searching. You are my God.

Thank You for turning on the light. I can see again. I now know why I am here and what is ahead for me. I am a citizen of the Kingdom of God. What fear I in this world when I know the King?

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment