Thursday, November 22, 2012

Acts 24-26

Daily Reading
Acts 24-26

Daily Thought

Paul well summarized his life's purpose to the elders in Ephesus, "I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God" (Acts 20:24). To this cause, Paul saved many, and angered more, especially the Jews in authority. They tried to silence the gospel by crushing Paul in court, but their efforts ended up lifting Paul to his biggest stage, bringing him before the governor of Judah, the King of Judah, and ultimately Caesar of Rome. 

The charges against Paul were summarized by Governor Festus: the chief priest and leaders of the Jews "had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive" (Acts 25:19). The cross has always been the crux of the matter; if it was the end of Christ, it was the end of Christianity; but if Jesus lives, Jesus reigns, over governors and kings and Caesars. C.S. Lewis rightly said, "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Daily Prayer

Savior God, there is no other Name than Jesus Christ by which we are saved. Jesus, Your Son, left heaven, came to earth, sacrificed His life, saved many. But not all. Some say no.

Thank You for displaying Your love to me in such a way that my will wilted and I could do nothing else but embrace You. Your grace compelled me to make You Lord and Savior. God, in my life and the lives of all who call You Lord, may Your grace be displayed, and cause all who see it to bend their knees and call You Savior.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment