Monday, November 19, 2012

Acts 16-17

Daily Reading
Acts 16-17

Daily Thought

Jail became common to the disciples, and outcomes were unpredictable; Herod killed James, an angel rescued Peter (Acts 12:1-7). So when Paul and Silas were thrown into prison, it was no surprise to find them praying deep into the night. But if you think they were praying for their protection and escape, you'd be wrong.

The jailer was ordered "to keep them safely" (Acts 16:23), so when an earthquake struck, releasing their bonds and opening the gates of their cells, "he drew his sword and was about to kill himself, supposing that the prisoners had escaped" (Acts 16:27). Instead, Paul and Silas had not only stayed in their cell, they convinced the other prisoners to remain, as well. When the jailer saw this, he asked, ""Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" While sitting in jail, their future in doubt, that is what Paul and Silas had prayed for, and the jailer "was baptized at once, he and all his family" (Acts 16:33).

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, my time is not as important as someone's eternity, my safety not as important as their salvation. May my prayers and my priorities reflect the values of heaven, and may my life point others to my Lord. 

I trust you fully, and that changes my attitude about everything and everyone. Teach me to love others more, to live boldly, to share freely, to serve like my Savior.

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment