Monday, October 29, 2012

Luke 12-13

Daily Reading
Luke 12-13

Daily Thought

Then Jesus said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions" (Luke 12:15).

Dictionary.com: "wealth" [welth] -noun
  1. a great quantity or store of money, valuable possessions, property, or other riches.
  2. an abundance or profusion of anything; plentiful amount.
  3. Economics: all things that have a monetary or exchange value; anything that has utility and is capable of being appropriated or exchanged.
  4. rich or valuable contents or produce.
  5. the state of being rich; prosperity; affluence.
Pretty much what I expected. But wait! One more. It's #6, and obsolete, but check it out:

6. Obsolete: happiness.

Obsolete.  Look that up; dictionary.com: "obsolete" [ob-suh-leet] -adjective
  1. no longer in general use; fallen in disuse.
  2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date.
"Those who love money will never have enough. How meaningless to think that wealth brings true happiness! It is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life - this is indeed a gift from God" (Ecclesiastes 5:10, 19, NLT).

Daily Prayer

God, You created EVERYTHING. It is all yours. May I always remember that I am a steward of Your riches, not an owner. Forgive me for greed, and keep my heart owned by you. May I hold things loosely, ready to give and share where it would please You most.

I pray that my trust in You will grow strong, weakening my grip on possessions. May I be as generous as You are.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment