Thursday, October 25, 2012

Luke 4-5

Daily Reading
Luke 4-5

Daily Thought

Jesus went from baptism to battle, assaulted by Satan in the wilderness. "If you are the Son of God, command this stone to become bread" (Luke 4:3). Satan's challenge seemed reasonable, Jesus had not eaten for forty days, but hunger hid the temptation which was to clutch again his deity for himself. "Man shall not live by bread alone" (Luke 4:4), answered Jesus, because he had become human for us.

Jesus was dependent on God's Spirit for power on earth, but had not relinquished his authority. "Your sins are forgiven you," Jesus declared to a paralyzed man, to which the Pharisees rightly questioned, "Who can forgive sins but God alone?" (Luke 5:20-21). Good question, but it broke the first tenet of cross-examination. They should have read To Kill a Mockingbird, when Scout explains, "Never, never, never, ask a witness a question you don't already know the answer to. Do it and you'll often get an answer you don't want, an answer that might wreck your case."

Jesus answered them, "Why do you question in your hearts? Which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Rise and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"-he said to the man who was paralyzed-"I say to you, rise, pick up your bed and go home." He did.

Satan had tempted Jesus to prove he is God by serving himself; instead, Jesus displayed his glory by serving and saving others.

Daily Prayer

Dear God, I pray to You because You are the One true God. There are no others. I know that You are good and powerful and wonderful. I know that You care about me. I can't quite figure out why, but I'm glad. You cared so much that You sent Your Son to heal me.

God, I need to be healed. Sin leaves me broken, but by Your grace I am made new. You are the only wise God, my Savior. To You be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forevermore.

And thank You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment