Saturday, October 27, 2012

Luke 8-9

Daily Reading
Luke 8-9

Daily Thought

The teacher and the student share the task of the classroom, and neither is solely responsible for its success. "A sower went out to sow his seed," Jesus begins a lesson, "and as he sowed, some fell along the path, and some fell on the rock, and some fell among thorns, and some fell into good soil" (Luke 8:5-7). The farmer sowed by hand, so you have to wonder why he wastes seed on the path and the rock and the thorns; but in this story the sower is the teacher, and the teacher is Jesus, and Jesus gives all an opportunity to hear the good news and take root and grow.

Now the soil has its part to play. I remember sitting behind a desk, with an eye on the clock, because recess and kickball were only minutes away. The learner had already left the classroom. When grades were important, however, I paid attention--until the test. Afterward, I may or may not have remembered the difference between "I am well" and "I am good." In college, I confess, I cared not for the class or the grade, but only the degree, and did only what had to be done to graduate. But there came a time when I connected class to life and listened and learned and understood and applied what I was taught. "Take care then how you hear, for to the one who has, more will be given, and from the one who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away" (Luke 8:18).

Jesus was traveling "through cities and villages, proclaiming and bringing the good news of the kingdom of God" (Luke 8:1). His classroom included stories and illustrations, displays of power over demons and storms, healing the sick and raising the dead, and feeding thousands. Finally, it was time for the test, and the midterm had one question, "Who do you say that I am?" And Peter answered, "The Christ of God" (Luke 9:20). The seed had taken root and was ready to grow.

Daily Prayer

My Lord and God, the heavens declare Your glory, the world Your beauty and Your order and Your thoughtfulness and Your care. There was a time when I missed the message, but that was my fault. I was not paying attention, thinking of other things (usually myself). Thank You for opening my eyes and my heart. I see You everywhere I look.

Keep me attentive, Lord, to Your wonders and Your ways. May I always love Your Word and delight in knowing You better. I'm paying attention now.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment