Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mark 14

Daily Reading
Mark 14

Daily Thought

When a woman poured a flask of very expensive ointment on the head of Jesus, he accepted her offering, but some objected, "Why was the ointment wasted like that? For this ointment could have been sold for more than three hundred denarii and given to the poor" (Mark 14:4-5). In criticizing the woman, they demeaned Jesus. The oil, they said, could have been used for something better; but the woman thought Jesus worth it all.

Judas, likewise, put a price on Jesus, and "went to the chief priests in order to betray him to them. They were glad and promised to give him money" (Mark 14:10-11). To Judas, Jesus was a commodity, worth 30 pieces of silver. He came to Jesus for what he could get out of Jesus, and "he went up to him at once and said, 'Rabbi!' And he kissed him" (Mark 14:45). But the woman adored Jesus; to her, Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the Living God, her Savior. She looked for nothing from him, rather she gave him her all. 

Daily Prayer

My God and Savior, what is amazing is that You gave Your all for me before I cared. You poured out Your blood for my sake, an act of love I can barely fathom. I am learning more about You, knowing You better each day, following more faithfully, loving You more fully. It is a lifetime of growth, but there is no better life to live.

My desire, my God, is to empty myself for You, as You did for me; to give up my desires and replace them with Yours; to lose myself in Your love for others; and to worship You by giving myself to You completely. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment