Friday, October 19, 2012

Mark 10-11

Daily Reading
Mark 10-11

Daily Thought

The rich man asked Jesus, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" (Mark 10:17). Jesus told him to follow the commandments, and the man claimed he had since youth. His question was sincere, but really, he wanted Jesus to assure him he was safe, keep up the good work. Jesus loved him too much to do that, "and looking at him, loved him, and said to him, 'You lack one thing: go, sell all that you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me'" (Mark 10:21). Eternity demands everything, so he told the man to give away the one thing he wouldn't. 

This was not what the man expected, and "he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions" (Mark 10:22). The man believed he obeyed the commandments, that he loved the Lord God with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might" (Deuteronomy 6:5), but he wouldn't love God with all his money. 

The game of Monopoly teaches us about money. The object is to become the wealthiest player by buying, renting, and selling property. It teaches us to pay our bills on time, to avoid debt, to use money to make money, to own buildings and charge rent, to save in case of emergencies. With enough money, you can control everything, except one thing. No one can control the dice. Money cannot promise everything, and it cannot promise eternity, but God can. "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (Mark 11:24). 

Daily Prayer

God, I think about what Your Son left to come to me. He did not consider being God something to hang onto if it meant He could save me. You Son allowed my sin to break His relationship to His Father and the Holy Spirit. He left what was closest to Him because of His love for me.

I release my hold on everything, God. May nothing stand between me and You. May my love for You be complete and full. Most of all, I give up myself. I am off the throne, and You are in charge. I die to myself, and the life I now live is Yours.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment