Monday, October 15, 2012

Mark 1-3

Daily Reading
Mark 1-3

Daily Thought

In Mark's Gospel, everything happens "immediately" (Mark 1:10, 12, 18, 20, 21, 23, 29, 30, 42; and that's just chapter 1). Jesus begins in Galilee "proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel'" (Mark 1:14-15). He healed many, cast out demons, and preached in their synagogues, and in no time at all, "people were coming to him from every quarter" (Mark 1:45); and this provoked critics, as well. No good deed goes unpunished, and immediately the religious leaders put forward their own spin on Jesus, "He is possessed by Beelzebul," and "by the prince of demons he casts out the demons" (Mark 3:22). They didn't like Jesus.

God's command, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," was a favorite of the Pharisees; "On it you shall not do any work" (Exodus 20:8, 10). The Pharisees listed 39 categories of work, no cooking, no washing, no harvesting, etc.; then added one for Jesus, "No healing." There were six other days to heal, so Jesus could easily avoid conflict, but Jesus always demands a choice. It was the Sabbath and he immediately found a man with a withered hand. "Come here," he said, and brought the man in front of the Pharisees. "Is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good or to do harm, to save life or to kill?" Are you for me or against me? But they were silent (Mark 3:3-4). Their silence was their choice. 

Daily Prayer

God, the desire of my heart is to follow You, to reflect You in all that I do, and to declare You in what I say. I will not be silent, or silenced by others, but I will stand for You and declare the wonders of knowing you and living in Your creation. 

Your Law teaches me to love You and care for others. May my actions speak as loud as my words, but may that not stand alone. I serve in Your Name, but no one will know that unless I tell them. Strengthen me, God, and make me gentle and bold. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment