Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Matthew 5-6

Daily Reading
Matthew 5-6

Daily Thought

Jesus said, "I have not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, not an iota, not a dot" (Matthew 5:17-18); then elaborated on the iotas and the dots. Anger is murder; lust is adultery, and so is divorce; don't swear to tell the truth, simply tell the truth; turn the other cheek and go the second mile; love your neighbor and love your enemy. In summary, "Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:48).

With that, he teaches his followers to pray, "forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors" (Matthew 6:13), acknowledging we will fall short of perfection, and mercy will be required. Jesus holds two expectations of us; the first a holy expectation of heaven, extravagant righteousness, "unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:21). To this we aspire, but he also expects us to fall far short because he knows of our fondness for the forbidden fruit. Will it be Satan or Savior, sinner or saint? He demands a choice, for "no one can serve two masters" (Matthew 6:24), and if we choose to "seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness" (Matthew 6:33), we will be perfect, because "in him we might become the righteousness of God" (2Corinthians 5:21). 

Daily Prayer

My God, You sent Your Son the first time to bring salvation. His second coming will usher those who are saved into Your Eternal Kingdom.

My salvation is in knowing You as my Savior and Lord, and I desire to be at all times excited at Your coming.  Help me live each day believing it could be The Day, the day that You return.  May I live with the freedom and confidence that come from knowing that this world will pass, so there is nothing in this world that should hold me.  There is nothing more valuable than You.  May I love You, therefore, with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength, and love my neighbor as myself.  May I live the life You saved me to live.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment