Sunday, October 14, 2012

Matthew 27-28

Daily Reading
Matthew 27-28

Daily Thought

From where he sat in a prison cell, Barabbas could not hear Pilate speaking in the courtyard. Only the shout of the crowd. It was the governor's custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd; "Pilate said to them, 'Whom do you want me to release for you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?'" And the crowd cried, "Barabbas" (Matthew 27:17, 21).  

Barabbas, in chains, in prison, a rebel, a murderer, and a thief. He heard his name shouted from the crowd, "Barabbas! Barabbas!" 

"Then what shall I do with Jesus who is called Christ?" They shouted all the more, "Let him be crucified!" (Matthew 27:22-23).

Alas, all Barabbas could hear was, "Barabbas! Barabbas! Crucify him! Crucify him!!" Imagine, then, the surprise on Barabbas's face when he was set free. "Then he released for them Barabbas, and having scourged Jesus, delivered him to be crucified" (Matthew 27:26); and an innocent man was crucified on the cross he deserved. 

Surely he has borne our griefs
    and carried our sorrows;
yet we esteemed him stricken,
    smitten by God, and afflicted.
But he was pierced for our transgressions;
    he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
    and with his wounds we are healed.
~Isaiah 53:4-5

Daily Prayer

My God, my God, I am not forsaken. I deserve to be, but You loved me by death. Death on a cross. Your Son took what I deserved. He took my place and my penalty and set me free. 

I show someone the smallest amount of grace and I pat myself on the back - as if I'd done something grand. You demonstrate Your love in this, that even while I sin, and keep sinning, and delight in sin, you died for me. 

Now, how can I keep sinning? I must not. I must embrace righteousness, because I have received Your grace and mercy. I am newly born, a saint. Thank You, God. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment