Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Luke 1

Daily Reading
Luke 1

Daily Thought

Luke, in writing his gospel of Jesus Christ, was careful to interview "those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses" (Luke 1:1), which must include Zechariah, perhaps Elizabeth, too, and Mary, her cousin. Zechariah and Mary were each visited privately by an angel foretelling two miraculous births. To Zechariah and Elizabeth, childless, barren, and old, would come John; Mary a virgin, would bear Jesus.

John came first, six months before the Savior of the world, fulfilling Malachi's prophecy spoken four centuries earlier of a messenger who "will prepare the way before me" (Malachi 3:1), "in the spirit and power of Elijah" (Luke 1:17; cf Malachi 4:5). John was the New Testament version of the Old Testament prophet, making his home in the desert, boldly rebuking evil rulers, calling the people to repentance, and preparing a nation to meet their Savior and Lord.   

After Malachi, God muted his prophets, until the silence was shattered by song; and Mary sang,
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
    and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
    For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed" (Luke 1:46-48).

Mary will bear a son and call his name Jesus. "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give to him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end" (Luke 1:32-33). One can hardly blame God for making a bit of noise.

Daily Prayer

My God, You trumpeted the coming of Your Son to humble people hidden in Judea, and they believed in You and faithfully obeyed. Thank You for breaking my pride, as well, and bringing me to a humble state, knowing I need a Savior. You showed me love and gave me Jesus and life has never been the same.

May I walk in the spirit of John, who was unafraid to announce the coming of Your Son. May I be bold and passionate, displaying the same love for people that brought You from heaven to earth to rescue us. May I tell others the good news that rescued me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment