Friday, June 1, 2012

Job 1-4

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Zero is quite powerful. When you add zero, nothing much happens. But try multiplying! Go ahead. Multiply anything by 0, and what do you get? Zero. Zero dominates! 12 x 0 = 0; 20 x 0 = 0; 7 billion (the number of people on planet earth) x 0 = 0. We spend our entire lives adding and subtracting, but at the end, everybody gets multiplied by zero. Does that seem disheartening? Think again. Look in your closet, your attic, your garage, your hope chest, your cupboards. Nothing we accumulate adds value to who we are. If we lose anything, or everything (think Job), we are of no less worth.

Satan thought he could take everything away from Job and Job would curse God.  "Does Job fear God for no reason? Have you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. But stretch out your hand and touch all that he has, and he will curse you to your face" (Job 1:9-11). 

It is incredibly powerful to realize that our worth comes from nothing more and nothing less than being a child of God made in his image. And Job said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord" (Job 1:21). 

Take it all; I still have my God. Nothing can touch that! No one can touch that. Not a demeaning boss, nor a degrading father, nor a disloyal friend, nor the devil himself. When we delight in God we find rest, contentment, peace, significance. Nothing can rob us of that, because God is not going anywhere. Even while we were yet sinners, Christ died for you! If God is for me, who can be against me.

Daily Prayer

Father in heaven, you are the creator of all things. I give you all glory and honor and praise. What a world you have created! Forgive me for focusing on the trivial when the majesty of your creation is forever in front of me. Oh Lord, may I be content in you.

Faith, hope, and love, these are essential. And the greatest of these is love. Out of my faith in the God of truth, out of my hope in the God who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, may I love you with all of my heart, my soul, my mind, and my might. And may I love others, and thus display my love for You to the world.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment