Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Psalm 32-35

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

Dogs protect their homes. Annoying barking dogs. King David thought he got away with it, and he almost did.

Psalm 32 is David's inside thoughts about the events of 2Samuel 11 and 12. The story begins, "In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, King David remained in Jerusalem." Sin's moment arrives when you are not where you should be. The soldiers were away, and the wife of one of them was available. She conceived a child. To cover it up, the king brought the husband home from battle. If Uriah would enjoy a night with his wife, no one would know David had, but Uriah was one of David's mighty men, an honorable man, who does not take pleasure when his fellow warriors battle. The king got Uriah drunk, but Uriah's integrity was stronger than the wine, and Uriah slept on the couch. So, the king sent Uriah back to battle and arranged so that he would be killed. David believed, at last, his secret was secure. He could rest. When you finally get a sin wrapped up all nice and tidy, you breathe a sigh of relief.

But the dogs kept barking. David had robbed their home, so they barked.  Woof, Adultery.  Woof, Deceit.  Woof, Murder.  And they don't let up. 

For when I kept silent, my bones wasted away
   through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
   my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. ~Psalm 32:3-4

Pray that you never find rest in sin. Worse than the barking would be peace with iniquity. Because of the dogs, David found the just discipline of the Lord, and it hurt. But through the pain, he also found God's mercy and grace. He found peace. 

Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, 
   whose sin is covered. 
You are a hiding place for me; 
   you preserve me from trouble; 
   you surround me with shouts of deliverance. ~Psalm 32:1, 7

Thank goodness for barking dogs. 

Daily Prayer

Father in heaven, you are holy, you are good. Your kingdom is righteous. I long to live forever, a righteous man in a righteous kingdom. Do what it takes to prepare me for Your kingdom.

Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my thoughts. If there is any wicked way in me, straighten my path. Lead me in the way everlasting.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment