Thursday, May 31, 2012

Esther 6-10

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

The first half of the story of Esther ends with the plan of man, "This idea pleased Haman, and he had the gallows made" (Esther 5:14). The following verse opens Act Two, the plan of God, "On that night the king could not sleep" (Esther 6:1). Haman had gallows built fifty cubits high, and you can sense the coming irony. These gallows meant by Haman for righteous Mordecai are meant by God for wicked Haman. God is not mentioned, but God is not absent. In chapter 2, Mordecai had done a good deed unrewarded, and on this night in chapter 6 the king could not sleep. He asked for the reading of the Chronicles (a cure for insomnia?), and learned how Mordecai had rescued the king. You'll need to read the story yourself; it's a good one - but I will spoil the ending. "So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai" (Esther 7:10). 

The righteous is delivered from trouble,
and the wicked walks into it instead. 
~Proverbs 11:8

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, over and over again You remind me, as I sow, so shall I reap. I should live life accordingly. Looking ahead, I shall do today what will produce a good tomorrow.          Thank You for teaching me what is right, and for changing my heart so that I now desire Your ways instead of my own, some of the time, at least, and more and more as I make a habit of holiness. 

Help me remember always that this world is Your creation and Your design and it works Your way. I enjoy life when I enjoy You and live according to the joy of Your Word. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment