Thursday, June 21, 2012

Psalm 40-45

Daily Reading
Daily Thought

David begins the 40th Psalm, "I waited patiently for the Lord" (Psalm 40:1). That seems proper, but by the end of the psalm, David's mood had changed, "O Lord, make haste to help me!" (Psalm 40:13). What happened to patience? 

The answer is in verse 12, "for evils have encompassed me beyond number; my iniquities have overtaken me, and I cannot see; they are more than the hairs of my head; my heart fails me." David had counted his sins. 

David warns against the proud, "those who go astray after a lie" (Psalm 40:4). The lie is, "I am not so bad," and therefore their god is not so big. Great sinners, on the other hand, need a great Savior, and David's sins were countless. He was that bad, he needed God, and he needed him now. 

As for me, I am poor and needy,
    but the Lord takes thought for me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
    do not delay, O my God! ~Psalm 40:17

Daily Prayer

My God, keep me from comfort in sin. May I love Your righteousness so much that I never delay to confess and turn away from the wrong I do. Thank You that Your mercy is endless, because my sins are countless, and I need your never-ending forgiveness. 

Develop in me a habit of goodness, that I would desire to do what is right all the time. When I fail, pick me up and set me on the right path again, and I will do the next right thing. I want my life to reflect Your glory, so others will desire the same salvation You have given me. I love Your salvation!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment